Christine E. Campbell
B.Sc. (Honours) U.B.C., M.Sc. Alberta, Ph.D. Memorial
Division of Science (Sept. 2008)
Professor, Environmental Science Unit,
Sir Wilfred Grenfell College
Memorial University of Newfoundland
Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada A2H 6P9
Phone: (709) 637- 6200, extension 6478
Professional Organizations: Society of Canadian
Societas Internationalis Limnologiae (International Association of
and Applied Limnology), Canadian Society of Zoologists, Canadian Association on Water Quality,
Water Association, Humber Natural History Society.
My research interests are in freshwater ecology, or limnology.
is rich in freshwater lakes, ponds, streams and rivers. Western
in particular, is renowned for scenic fjord lakes such as Western Brook
Pond in Gros Morne National Park. My students and I have examined the
distribution of plankton and benthic invertebrates in Western Brook Pond and I
am starting a project on zooplankton and larval fish in brackish St. Paul's
Inlet. I have investigated the
structure of zooplankton communities in natural lakes and
systems, both in Newfoundland (research projects on hydroelectric
in Newfoundland's Great Northern Peninsula, and on nutrient-enriched
in Central Newfoundland, with Dr. R. Knoechel from Memorial University
of Newfoundland) and in Australia (research on predator-prey dynamics
zooplankton in salt evaporation basins in South Australia with Prof.
Williams from University of Adelaide). Projects in stream ecology
monitoring zooplankton drift in streams in western Newfoundland, with a
Masters student looking at water quality in the Mnembo River in Malawi,
Africa (part of WorldFish Center study).
My other research interests lie in the study of the structure of the
community of aquatic microfauna (ciliates, rotifers, gastrotrichs) in
treatment systems of pulp and paper mills. My students and I have
at the responses of this community to disturbances such as heavy metals
and changing pH. I have also been involved in projects monitoring the
impact of the pesticide Dylox on zooplankton in Newfoundland ponds.
Cycling, cross-country skiing, hiking, traditional knitting designs,
Scottish Country dancing
- Campbell, C.E. and R. Knoechel. 2008. Species occurrences of
microcrustacean zooplankton in Labrador, Canada. Verhandlungen Internationale Vereinigung fur
und Angewandte Limnologie 30: 77-81.
- Jamu, D.M., L.M. Delaney and C.E. Campbell. 2006. Transboundary
management plan for Lake Chilwa catchment. In Highlighting the Impacts of
North-South Research Collaboration among Canadian and Southern Higher
Education Partners. Association of Universities and Colleges of
- Campbell, C.E., I.G. Warkentin and K.G. Powell. 2004. Factors
influencing the distribution and potential spread of introduced anurans in
western Newfoundland. Northeastern Naturalist 11: 151-162.
- Warkentin, I.G., C.E. Campbell, K.G. Powell and T.D. Leonard.
2003. First record of Mink frog, Rana septentrionalis, for insular
Newfoundland. Canadian Field-Naturalist 117: 477-478.
- Campbell, C.E. 2002. Rainfall events and downstream
zooplankton in a Newfoundland boreal stream. Canadian Journal of
Zoology 80: 997-1003.
- Baldwin, D.D. and C.E. Campbell. 2001. Short-term effects
pH on the microfauna of an activated sludge wastewater treatment
Quality Research Journal of Canada 36: 519-535.
- Smith, M.L. and C.E. Campbell. 2000. Effects of cement
on pH and phosphorus concentrations in an activated sludge wastewater
system. Water Quality Research Journal of Canada 35:
- Campbell, C.E., R. Knoechel and D. Copeman. 1998.
factors related to increased zooplankton biomass and altered species
following impoundment of a Newfoundland reservoir. Canadian
of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 55: 230-238.
- Campbell, C.E. 1995. Temporal salinity variation in
basins in South-eastern Australia. International Journal of Salt
Lake Research 4: 45-55.
- Campbell, C.E. 1995. The influence of a predatory
insularis, on zooplankton abundances and species composition in a
lake. Hydrobiologia 302: 229-239.
- Campbell, C.E.1994. Seasonal zooplankton fauna of salt
basins in South Australia. Australian Journal of Marine and
Research 45: 199-208.
- Knoechel, R. and C.E. Campbell. 1992. A simple
for obtaining vertically integrated samples of pelagic zooplankton. Limnology
and Oceanography 37: 675-680.
- Campbell, C.E. 1993. Planktivory by planktonic ostracods
saline lakes. Verhandlungen Internationale Vereinigung fur
und Angewandte Limnologie 25: 887-889.
- Campbell, C.E. 1992. Fourspine stickleback, Apeltes
from a freshwater lake on the Avalon Peninsula of eastern Newfoundland.
Field-Naturalist 106: 400-402.
- Campbell, C.E. 1991. Prey selectivities of threespine
(Gasterosteus aculeatus) and phantom midge larvae (Chaoborus
spp.) in Newfoundland lakes. Freshwater Biology 25:
- Campbell, C.E. and R. Knoechel. 1990. Distribution
and invertebrate planktivores in some Newfoundland lakes with evidence
of predator-prey and competitive interactions. Canadian Journal
Zoology 68: 1559-1567.
Recent Theses Supervised:
- Delaney, L.D. 2006. Fish community ecology in relation to land use and
lotic paramenters in the Mnembo river catchment (southern Africa). M.Sc.
Environmental Science, Memorial Univ. of Nfld.
- Snook, A. 2006. Evaluation of wastewater treatment options for
phosphorus and suspended solids reduction in a new long-term care facility.
B.Sc. (Hons) Environmental Science, SWGC, Memorial Univ. of Nfld.
- Humber, J.M. 2005. The potential effects of boat traffic on benthic
macroinvertebrates of Western Brook Pond, Gros Morne National Park. B.Sc. (Hons) Environmental Science, SWGC, Memorial Univ. of Nfld.
- Leonard, T.D. 2003. Factors influencing colonization of the Trout
watershed, Gros Morne National Park, by exotic rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus
mykiss). B.Sc. (Hons) Environmental Science, SWGC, Memorial Univ.
Nfld. (co-supervised with Drs. T. Knight and I.G. Warkentin).
- Powell, K.G. 2002. Watersheds and water quality as determinants
distribution in western Newfoundland. B.Sc. (Hons) Environmental
SWGC, Memorial Univ. of Nfld. (co-supervised with Dr. I.G. Warkentin).
- Wells, D. 2001. Spatial heterogeneity in zooplankton populations
Brook Pond - potential impacts from increased boat traffic? B.Sc.
Environmental Science, SWGC, Memorial Univ. of Nfld.
- Baldwin, D. 1999. The impact of low pH on the community dynamics
(ciliates, rotifers, gastrotrichs) in an activated sludge system. M.
Sci., Memorial Univ. of Nfld.
- Smith, M. 1999. Evaluation of a cement dust buffer on pH and
phosphorus in a waste-water treatment system. M. Env. Sci., Memorial
- Baldwin, D. 1998. Possible effects of copper on microorganism
in activated sludge systems. B.Sc. (Hons) Environmental Science, SWGC,
Memorial Univ. of Nfld.
- Dhargalkar, S. 1998. Factors affecting growth of juvenile
in three rivers in St. Mary's Bay, Newfoundland. B.Sc. (Hons)
Science, SWGC, Memorial Univ. of Nfld. (co-supervised with C.
- Jones, M. 1998. The distribution of sticklebacks (Gasterosteidae)
to salinity gradients in selected coastal streams in western
B.Sc. (Hons) Environmental Science, SWGC, Memorial Univ. of Nfld..
- Soehner, J. 1995. Genetic variation in five Canadian populations
kindtii. B.Sc. (Hons), Biology, Brock University.
|Environmental Science Page | Biology
Updated August 2008